Author Topic: I'm clueless  (Read 4295 times)

bit

I'm clueless
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:27:48 AM »
I've seen FoW boxes here and there, but I've never actually seen anyone playing it. The "angle" of the game seems right up my alley, though, so I thought I'd ask a couple questions here (I tried looking at the official website, but was quickly overwhelmed).

1) Are there any resources available to find active FoW communities?

2) How do armies work? I see a ton of books available--how are these set up? Are they like Warmachine used to be in that there is a "big" book and a bunch of expansions (but no "army list" books) or is it more like 40k?

3) How flexible is army creation? Say I want to make an accurate 200th Division Tank Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/200th_Division) Would I be able make this list that used the tanks in the 200th (T-26, B-5, CV-33) -- either through official means or "proxy" -- or am I stuck with only having specific units playable in specific armies?

4) What affect does the whole early/mid/late war ...umm...mechanic?...have on playing the game?

Thanks for your help!

Offline SandWyrm

• View Profile
Re: I'm clueless
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »

As far as communities go, the best one that I know of is probably What Would Patton Do.

http://www.wwpd.net/

They have several updates a week, including battle reports. And are running an invasion of England campaign right now with some support from Battlefront.

2) How do armies work? I see a ton of books available--how are these set up? Are they like Warmachine used to be in that there is a "big" book and a bunch of expansions (but no "army list" books) or is it more like 40k?

It's a lot like the Forge World Imperial Armor books. There's a main rulebook and a series of campaign books that cover specific WWII theaters or battles. These are split into 3 main time periods. Early War, Mid War, and Late War. All of the books in a given time period are compatible with each other. So you can play Eastern Front Soviets vs. North African Americans if you want to.

Within each campaign book, there will be multiple lists for each faction. So the Mid-War North Africa book, for instance, has various lists for Germans, Italians, British, and Americans.

There are 3 basic kinds of lists. Infantry, Mech Infantry, and Tanks. Tanks Always attack Infantry or Mech, Mech always attacks Infantry. So you decide on the kind of list you want to play and then pick a specific list of that type.

If you're a German player in North Africa, there's a Tank company made up of medium armor for Egypt, another for Tunisia, and a heavy tank (Tigers) list for Italy.

If you want an example list, there's a free PDF of a Tiger list for Tunisia here:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=1629

(There's a good number of free lists on the Flames website if you look around.)

When looking at a list, you have to take one platoon from each black box. After you take the required platoons, you can pick up to one platoon from each grey box.

3) How flexible is army creation? Say I want to make an accurate 200th Division Tank Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/200th_Division) Would I be able make this list that used the tanks in the 200th (T-26, B-5, CV-33) -- either through official means or "proxy" -- or am I stuck with only having specific units playable in specific armies?

Army creation is pretty flexible overall, and there are a LOT of lists to choose from. Particularly if you're Russians. If you just want to recreate some historical force, there's probably a list that you can start with. I know that the Russian tank companies can field everything from lend-lease Shermans and Stuarts to Grants, Crusaders, Valentines, and all of the Russian types. Heck, they can even field captured German equipment. While some of the German lists let you field captured T-34's crewed by SS troops. I don't know if any of the lists has CV-33's, as the Chinese aren't in the game.

4) What affect does the whole early/mid/late war ...umm...mechanic?...have on playing the game?

It depends on the faction you're playing. For Germans, all of your equipment is different in mid and late war. So you have to buy new models to play a new time period. Whereas Americans don't change all that much from mid to late war. British CAN take equipment like Shermans that are used in both periods, but if you want that early North Africa force with Grants, Valentines, Crusaders, and Churchills, then you're going to be out of luck when the British army switches to American equipment later.

Other than that, you just have to be able to play what everyone else in your area plays. Around here, it just depends which national tournament is coming up. :)

Phosis21

Re: I'm clueless
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »

This is probably the trickiest point, and I would also point you to WWPD, also The Miniatures Page(.com) and the Battlefront Forums seem like good places. 

My experience is older, in that I didn't make the jump to third edition (it came out while I was in Afghanistan, and no one in my Battalion plays anything but Warhams).  In general though, its closer to 40k, but also a little different.

The books are themed to a certain theater of operations, and then details list for all of the combatants in that particular AO.  For example, when I played I used a book called Stalingrad which, appropriately, dealt with Axis and Soviet unit types in and around Stalingrad.  They allowed for the full spectrum of units, all foot, motorized infantry, mechanized infantry, armor etc etc etc.  (To REALLY date myself, I started off with Hitler's Fire Brigade).

The books now, seem a little less specific covering the entire Eastern Front or North African campaigns in one whole swath.  I haven't read them, and so cannot comment.

The game is well enough balanced though that there's no reason an Ost Front Germans couldn't fight Italian Front Americans and still expect a good game.  I routinely fought people that my Stalin Grad Panzer Grenadiers historically would never have met in battle and had a blast anyway - nor did I feel over or under powered with my list.  (KV-1s mess up Shermans, but die to well placed Wolverines)

Army list is very flexible.  Since you're focus seems to be armor, I'll use that.  I can't speak with an certainty about Soviets, but I'd imagine its the same.  The Armor lists start off with a basic platoon (usually three vehicles) of a certain class (usually a weaker one), and then via upgrades you can get them to be the class of tank you're looking for. By way of example, the German Panzer Platoon usually starts off as three Panzer III's and then can be upgraded to various marks of Panzer III, various marks of Panzer IV's or even to Stugs (my favorite); in addition you can also upgrade the number of models in the platoon to a maximum of five (in a German list...I think Soviets are like 10 tanks max).

Larger vehicles like Tigers or KV-1's are chosen in 1's and 2's.

I know for certain I battled against soviet tank hordes with masses of those little T-26 blighters on more than one occasion.  I'm fairly certain I've seen a B-5 platoon at least once, but its been a while, and I have to admit that I've never seen a CV-33.

But there's no reason in my mind that you couldn't proxy one by researching its capabilities and finding a listed tank with similar abilities and then going from there.

This mechanic is one that I'm less a fan of. When I started the game took place exclusively in the Mid-War, but has since evolved to encompass the entire era.  Generally the armies just evolve as they did historically.  I never played Early War, and can't comment.  Mid War was always my favorite, as all factions are very well balanced against each other, and have similar-ish capabilities, while still feeling unique.  Late war has more toys, and the vehicles are just much more lethal than before.

In general the idea is that Early War armies only fight Early War armies, and so on.  Its less a mechanic, and more a 'stage of the war' you'd like to fight in kind of thing, like a Campaign Source Book.

I never left Mid War, and frankly never felt a great need to.

I absolutely adore this game, and if I could find a community of gamers near my post willing to give it a shot, I'd happily dive back in, even with Warhams' new edition.