Author Topic: Tau Tactica - 6th edition  (Read 5933 times)

Offline FeralJim

• View Profile
Tau Tactica - 6th edition
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
My favourite army has always been Tau and their gradual decline over 5Th edition and subsequent lack of army releases was sad to see. So let's see what 6th edition does for them! A few general thoughts which will hopefully be solidifed over the coming weeks.

- 25% cover helps - no more arguing if the big lugs now get cover, it's pretty easy. 5+ is worse than 4+ but I'll take a constant 5+ over an iffy 4+
- 2+ armor more important for those who can get it now?
- MCs might be more dangerous to us now if they can reliably hit tanks... though their penetration bonus may have been lost. Does the double strength/half attacks cover for this? Mathammer it.
- Lots of Allies could be win depending on how the FAQ works out but the option to synergize with new FoC choices could help in terms of getting more of the types of units one needs.
- Weakening of mech over the long run looks to hurt Tau in that department.

Anyway, let the results and discussions from games begin!

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
Re: Tau Tactica - 6th edition
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
Lol @ copy paste first line.

AA mounts are what? Big question every army is asking - I can see Crisis suits (shoulder mounted stuff) and Skyrays. Reduction in cover helps Tau as they are more shooting than not and with Markerlights much easier to strip that cover and boost BS so squads can die. BSF will help against Night Fight depending how its worded and FAQ'd.

Big though will be Allies - Imperial Guard blob? Farseer? TH/SS Terminators? All good things.

Tau never had a real issue with stopping tanks before, this will be about the same so it'll be about how mobility improves (Allies looking at you) and ability to stop assault armies/kill infantry. Cover reduction helps here, assault buffs do not.

Otherwise I'd be thinking the next book is where Tau will really take off - Allies help shore them up until then.
- Kirby.

Offline jasonc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
I really see tau struggling here.

It isn't just combat that will make tau suffer; as ever, suites put out the most firepower for the tau. But will they survive the barrages of missiles and lascannons with the change to 5+ cover? will they be able to kill units that are half hidden? Not to mention the generally expected surge of plasma weapons.

The ability for tau vehicles to block is now suspect as well.

I'm not really sure what in 6th ed benefits tau beyond allies. If allies are allowed at tournaments etc, this obviously has huge implications for how the army will function.

Offline SageofTimes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
5+ cover means that HHs protecting your suits (and BLoSing said suits) matters that much more.  Eldar, while interesting for their psychic powers have nothing that Tau need; IG have better screening, Vendettas (fliers are ridiculous right now), and some decent HS (Manticores look to be better and Hydras at least have Skystrike, even if they don't have Interceptor);  BA bring Mephy and a few other things (assault options, melta).

Generally, it's about considering your terrain choices if you have the cash for one (Bastions are great for keeping your FWs in, and have a Quad Gun), building as efficiently as possible, and possibly bribing your TO so you can use Tetras.

Coyote81

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:33 AM »
I think the new wound allocation system will really benefit tau.  The ability to have your suit commander in front and LOS the ID shots to other guys (Hello gun/shield drones) will help keep them alive.

Example:  Suit team leader with 3+ save and 2 shield drone and 2 teammates.  Shot by 5 Long Fangs w/ missiles. You get 3 wounds. In 5th you save 1 with a drone lost a drone and a suit.  In 6th you can take all the shots on the drones just by putting them in front.  1 dies from the first missile, 2nd passes and the 2nd drone has a 50/50 on the third missile.

Much better imo. And if you can constantly find cover, you could use cheaper guns drones instead.

Offline SageofTimes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »
I think the new wound allocation system will really benefit tau.  The ability to have your suit commander in front and LOS the ID shots to other guys (Hello gun/shield drones) will help keep them alive.
  It also hurts your main suit teams (shas'vre has a small point now, but it's not great), but yeah, for a few small areas, it's nice.

Example:  Suit team leader with 3+ save and 2 shield drone and 2 teammates.  Shot by 5 Long Fangs w/ missiles. You get 3 wounds. In 5th you save 1 with a drone lost a drone and a suit.  In 6th you can take all the shots on the drones just by putting them in front.  1 dies from the first missile, 2nd passes and the 2nd drone has a 50/50 on the third missile.

Much better imo. And if you can constantly find cover, you could use cheaper guns drones instead.
Gun drones can be torrented, which mean you just have to toss some low S fire at them and the unit's testing LD; they also have T 3, which can effect the rate at which the unit's wounded.  They're a trap.

Coyote81

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »
For the torrenting you have a 4+ LOS to have the suits take half the wounds, and the Toughness of the unit is used, not the drones.  So as long as your drones don't out number your suits your T4.  With the change in regrouping and increased usefulness of bonding knives, I'm not scared of the leadership tests as much anymore, except on my broadsides.

Offline MickyLevi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
With the change in regrouping and increased usefulness of bonding knives, I'm not scared of the leadership tests as much anymore, except on my broadsides.

Now that Target Locks don't work anymore, I'm kinda feeling like its more likely to take Broadsides in units of 1 or 2 just for the sake of efficiency. Makes morale stuff for them a bit less of an issue, really.

Offline MickyLevi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:05:29 PM »
I haven't gotten to play any games yet, so this is really just armchair speculation, but what do you think of the Seeker Missile + Markerlight combo against flyers?

Me, I think markerlights are one of the best features of the Tau army, and I tend to field as many of them as I can - they're a great force multiplier. So between a Sky Ray and a couple of Pathfinder units, I'd expect to have 10-12 markerlights on the field, and generally with a good enough range to cover most of the board, especially given how far zooming flyers have to move onto the battlefield when they arrive.

So you need 6s to hit with the markerlights... thats fair enough. But with up to 12 lights all firing at, it's reasonable to expect 1-2 hits... and it's pretty clear from the rules that a Seeker Missile is fired at a full BS of 5, even at a zooming flyer. And with S 8, and most flyers with 11 or 12 AV, a glance or a pen doesn't seem that unreasonable - especially since, with so many of our weapons being S5, we can't hope to take down AV12 flyers with massed small arms fire.

I don't know what the math would be, but for a Tau army it might just be our safest AA option until we get some FAQed skyfire rules or the new codex.

Offline Wyrmnax

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
You need that 6+ to hit with the marker, and then a 2+ to hit with the missile.

Why not just point a boardside up? Its a 6+ with reroll, and is nearly guaranteed to penetrate any flyer. Most damage results are also disastrous to a flyer.

Also - you will have boardsides on your heavy support instead of a skyray.

One other thing to remember - you can use your firewarriors to shoot at AV 11 flyers. It wont do wonders, but with 36" effective range a squad can put a couple hull point wounds on anything that is pretty much anywhere on the board.