Author Topic: Canoptek Spyders and Scarabs swarms  (Read 2060 times)

thralkhan

Canoptek Spyders and Scarabs swarms
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
I'm getting back into Necrons and have decided to use Spyders. 

In the old codex, Spyders could generate scarabs and put them in base contact with the Spyder.

The new rules states to nominate a scarab unit within 6", then roll for a Scarab base.  Does this mean that if you don't have a Scarab unit, you cannot generate new Scarabs? 

I already have my fast attack slots filled with Wraiths, Tomb Blades, and Destroyers, so I'm hoping I'm reading this rule wrong.

Thanks

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
  • You require additional dakka
    • View Profile
Re: Canoptek Spyders and Scarabs swarms
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
i'm afraid you must add to existing scarab units now, you can't make a new one appear. if there isnt a scarab unit in that 6", you cant make a new one!

thralkhan

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »
Arghh...I was afraid of that. 

Ok, quite a few times, I've come across a blog post pertaining to Canoptek abilities.  In fact, on GW's website, I came across this statement under the Spyder:

"If a triad of Canoptek Spyders operate together, one takes overall command, harnessing the processing capacity of the others to create a supermind far greater than the sum of its parts. This hyper-efficiency is passed on to all Canoptek Wraiths and Canoptek Scarabs in the immediate vicinity"

Do Canopteks have some sort of combined ability I'm not seeing?  I've looked over the codex several times and haven't found anything close to what this implicates.

If anyone can point me to a page number to where it says something about Canopteks working in tandem like that I'd appreciate it.

I haven't read the codex from cover to cover, but I have read the entries for the Wraiths, Spyders, and Scarabs, and have found nothing relating to this statement.

Thanks

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
  • You require additional dakka
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
it's just a bit of fluff. when the necrons are in stasis, the spyders form the brain of a hive mind that controls the wraiths and scarabs in maintaining the necron tombs. in a battle, the overlords and crypteks control them directly, so they function like any other unit. it's a bit of a shame that nothing was made of that fluff ability though