Author Topic: Necron Tactica - 6th edition  (Read 15478 times)

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
  • You require additional dakka
    • View Profile
Necron Tactica - 6th edition
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »
So what did the shiny tinboyz get? Quite a lot, actually...
Here's what I've noticed about them so far.

- Gauss is just unfair against the new hull points. Who cares if you can't penetrate the Land Raider, just aim a load of warriors at it and get more than 4 6s on the pen roll.
- Adding onto that, both Warriors and Not-Tesla Immortals got a buff due to the changes to Rapid Fire; suddenly the Phaeron upgrade is very pointless.
- Warscythes don't get the Unwieldy rule like every other similar melee weapon. Oh thank you holy Jeebus.
- Night Scythes and Doom Scythes are stupid fast with the new Flyer rules. They must start the game in reserves though. Guys can jump out of the Night Scythe even if it moves 24"
- Spyders get all of the MC buffs and are still the cheapest MC in the game, they also get the only buff to Deny the Witch rolls for the Necron army. Spyders might appear more in lists even when their scarab generating abilities aren't needed.
- Speaking of scarabs, they're still very nasty, though not as needed due to the above buff to Gauss
- Monolith is still an overcosted, short-ranged fatass of a vehicle. Yeah it can fire all its guns now, but the flux arcs are all BS1 if the particle whip takes a shot
- Annihilation Barge is still stupidly cheap for the amount of potential shots it can put out, though slightly weaker due to the addition of hull points
- Same goes for Catacomb Command Barges. The rulebook has the new Chariot type just for them but the appendix didnt give it to them and then the new FAQ did augh GW what are you even doing (methinks the daemon chariots will be upgraded to Chariot Vehicles come their next codex)
- Mindshackle Scarabs + challenge = lol
- Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers might maybe almost worth their points because Preferred Enemy affects their shooting
- Flayed Ones can do...nah, they still suck
- Poor Triarch Praetorians strike last with their fancy sticks.
- Deathmarks have delicious allocating shots on a to hit of 6, with their shiny new proper Rapid Fire guns
- C'tan Shards are still way to expensive
- I do not use the special characters enough to judge if theyve changed for better or for worse.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:47:44 PM by Scuzgob »

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
Re: Necron Tactica - 6th edition
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »
Gauss is the new thing yes, particularly with improvement to rapid fire. Engaging Necrons in combat quickly is still the order of the day.
Scythes are good but don't have hover - pretty important balancing factor I think.
Scarabs + Wraiths with Fearless are now excellent tar pits.
Barges, along with Night Scythe + Ark, was a good unit that got better really.
Necron Lords will be a lot more common - <3 ze Mindshackle!

Overall, Necrons are looking to head into this addition pretty sweet. Maybe GW did think of 6th when making them...
- Kirby.

Offline SageofTimes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »
Scythes can pick up units at the beginning of the movement phase and drop them at the end.  This is what Fish of Fail wants to be when it grows up.

Scarabs lost Stealth, but w/ Hull Points, they're that much more nasty.  Wraiths gained Hammer of Wrath...nuff said.

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:46:28 AM »
with the aforementioned changes to Rapid Fire and Hull Points, is having tesla carbines over gauss blasters on Immortals such a clear cut choice anymore?
Tesla Carbines have a potential 3 shots per guy, but now Gauss Blasters have the same Strength at 1/2 shots, with no movement restrictions, and also get AP4 and the Gauss rule.
(as an aside, it still bugs me that Destroyers dont have the option to swap their Gauss Cannons for Telsa Cannons and/or Particle Shredders)

Offline Wyrmnax

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:36:40 AM »
Tesla was used on immortals especially because it could keep your immortals mobile and out of charge range.

Gauss cannons now can keep them mobile and out of charge range too.

I believe its is more equal now-
Gauss is better if the enemy have 4+ or worse armor save ( IE: not a marine )
Tesla is still better from 18" to 30" with the possibilities of having more shots if gauss doesnt ignore armor
Gauss is better up to 18".

And gauss is better against tanks.

I guess what you take depends a lot on how many vehicles and how many marines you usually see around.

Coyote81

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 03:12:22 AM »
Scythes can pick up units at the beginning of the movement phase and drop them at the end.  This is what Fish of Fail wants to be when it grows up.

Scarabs lost Stealth, but w/ Hull Points, they're that much more nasty.  Wraiths gained Hammer of Wrath...nuff said.

Actually they can't, zooming flyers cannot embark or disembark units.  Since the night scythe is a supersonic flyer, it can't go into hover mode.  So once you disembark from a night scythe you can't get back in.  The only reason they can get out at all was the new FAQ "Invasion Beams"  But every flyer transport has a special rule like that.

Offline Chair126

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »
wouldnt tesla stillbe anice option against fliers? even without skyfire every hit they get is 3 hits worth. a unit of 10 would get about 6 hits then but i guess thats only really useful against the av10 stuff

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »

Actually they can't, zooming flyers cannot embark or disembark units.  Since the night scythe is a supersonic flyer, it can't go into hover mode.  So once you disembark from a night scythe you can't get back in.  The only reason they can get out at all was the new FAQ "Invasion Beams"  But every flyer transport has a special rule like that.

that's a little awkward, really, but most of the time I'm probably going to be running the Night Scythes empty. Units embarked on them can't shoot out of it (double bad if said unit has a cryptek) and they also get annihilated if the Scythe crashes.
An empty Night Scythe is a cheap, fast and shooty unit that doesn't take up FoC slots though. Great!

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
@Scuz - don't they go into reserves when it crashes?

In regards to Tesla/Gauss - it's no longer 100% Tesla for Immortals though I wouldn't say it's 100% Gauss either. Tesla still works well versus fliers (as well as can be at least) and against infantry at range, particularly with a Stalker roaming around. Gauss is still better against infantry up close and more viable at range and will glance to death vehicles quite handily. I imagine a mix is going to be your best bet but depends what else you have - if you've got a lot of Warriors/Arks with gauss, Tesla might end up being the better option for Immortals, etc.
- Kirby.

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »
@Scuz - don't they go into reserves when it crashes?

OH YEAH thats right. well, slogging on from reserves is almost as bad, though.

In regards to Tesla/Gauss - it's no longer 100% Tesla for Immortals though I wouldn't say it's 100% Gauss either. Tesla still works well versus fliers (as well as can be at least) and against infantry at range, particularly with a Stalker roaming around. Gauss is still better against infantry up close and more viable at range and will glance to death vehicles quite handily. I imagine a mix is going to be your best bet but depends what else you have - if you've got a lot of Warriors/Arks with gauss, Tesla might end up being the better option for Immortals, etc.

It's handy the option is free, for sure. A mix is best to be prepared for everything.
Of course, this leads us to: Which type of Cryptek Harbinger is best for tesla immortals and gauss immortals?
For tesla immortals, i think a Transformation one upgraded with the Harp would be great to boost their anti-air ability, and it also has a tremorstave for piling more wounds on enemy infantry. a storm cryptek sounds good too with its four shot haywire gun
good old destruction crypteks for gauss immortals, i think, to further boost their anti-vehicle skills. cant really think of any other type that would be better for them

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
I imagine Crypteks will see more varried use and running two Courts at 2000pts won't be as standard - you just don't need them as much for the mass S8 firepower. THen again, COmmand Barges are still excellent tools so grabbing two of them isn't unwarranted...

Regardless, I imagine Lanceteks won't be the overwhelming majority anymore.
- Kirby.

Offline MadmanMSU

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 03:54:01 AM »
IMHO, Tesla is pretty worthless now.  I did some maths, and came up with the following:

EDIT: Typo on the last Immortals entry.  Should read "Gauss on 5 Immortals (RF)"

The ROI is the Return on Investment.  AKA the number of wounds you get per point spent.  For example, 10 Immortals in Rapid Fire (RF) shooting at a T4 Sv3+ creature gets you about .017 Wounds per point, or roughly 3 wounds on average (2.89).   

My Tesla math may be slightly off, but my confidence interval is such that I don't think it affects the end result enough to make a difference.

The conclusions that I draw from this are that Warriors and Immortals have almost exactly the same point efficiencies, so the only difference between the two now is their means of transport and the clearly better saves on the Immortals.

Personally, I'll probably stick with Gauss Immortals.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:59:00 AM by MadmanMSU »

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 05:33:44 AM »
well youve mesmerised me with your mathamancy to make me keep my macabre metal (m)immortals
i never did like painting the tesla weapons anyway
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 07:58:09 AM by Scuzgob »

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
I'll point out that there was never any difference in those stats (RF guass to Tesla) in 5th edition. The major boon here is that Guass gets to shoot beyond RF range now. The relationship will delve down to how both interact with vehicles more than infantry - Tesla is more effective against low AV fliers thanks to extra hits on 6's but Gauss is just more effective versus anything it can hit. Either way, there is no massive gap advantage to Tesla unlike before but it still has advantages over Gauss (you're getting more damage outside of 12" and thus don't need to move forward, you can still strip hull points from AV10/11 at the same rate, better against low AV fliers, etc.). Rather than being one or the other now, there's choice.
- Kirby.

Offline MadmanMSU

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
I'll point out that there was never any difference in those stats (RF guass to Tesla) in 5th edition. The major boon here is that Guass gets to shoot beyond RF range now. The relationship will delve down to how both interact with vehicles more than infantry - Tesla is more effective against low AV fliers thanks to extra hits on 6's but Gauss is just more effective versus anything it can hit. Either way, there is no massive gap advantage to Tesla unlike before but it still has advantages over Gauss (you're getting more damage outside of 12" and thus don't need to move forward, you can still strip hull points from AV10/11 at the same rate, better against low AV fliers, etc.). Rather than being one or the other now, there's choice.

I only started playing Necrons two weeks ago, so it's still news to me  :)

In any case, even though Tesla is better against flyers, there's still no reason to take it given the other plethora of AA options available that are certainly more versatile of a choice.

Offline Chair126

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »
like barges! and necron flyers!

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
another small list:

- Destroyer Lord gives Preferred Enemy to any unit he joins. The most obvious (and best choice) for him to join is still Wraiths, boosting their combat ability further. Tomb Blades gain no benefit due to twin-linked weapons, so that leaves...Praetorians?
- Triarch Stalker is still a one-gun walker, but it's much harder to remove said gun from that AV13 body with the new damage system
- Same goes for the Doomsday Ark and Annihilation Barge, its much more difficult to knock their big guns off due to randomising weapon destroyed results
- Doomsday Ark's bigass template does bigass damage across the whole area now. suck it, car parks
- Tomb Blade's speed and twin-linked telsa weapons make them good flyer hunters. Annihilation Barge isnt as fast but has a stronger TL telsa gun with more shots, so it can pull the same duty for pittance
- Could the Monolith acutally be not-terrible now? Huge LoS brocker, reliable deep strike reserve ability, 4 hull points, a huge amount of snap firing shots from the flux arcs, full strength from the particle whip template. the only thing it needs is to be able to do is to split its flux arc fire like the flayer arrays on the Arks

Offline MadmanMSU

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:32 AM »

- Destroyer Lord gives Preferred Enemy to any unit he joins. The most obvious (and best choice) for him to join is still Wraiths, boosting their combat ability further. Tomb Blades gain no benefit due to twin-linked weapons, so that leaves...Praetorians?

Praetorians seem better now.  Still wouldn't take them over wraiths, but I believe they actually out-damage wraiths now if you count their shooting.  That's also assuming you can get close enough to shoot, and that they survive until I1....

Offline Tarrasq

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »
Wraiths are also potentially cheaper now since you don't have to buy the pistols.  Whip coils require re thinking however since you lose models from front to back and the coils need to be up front to work.  We may need to find a new number to take. 

Also the DLord allows for allocation shennanigans. 5/6 of the time (if the dlord is the closest model) you get to allocate the ap 2 or better wounds to the wraiths and you can spread them out evenly. 

Though if you want a dlord you're probably better off with the praetorians so you can use the orb to great effect.

EDIT: I forgot that wraiths taking a pistol get an additional attack now since they count as having one close combat weapon as default now. Might be worth taking still.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:57:01 AM by Tarrasq »

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »
I don't think praetorians are anywhere near wraith as far as damage goes. They 1 base attack each...
scythes with dudes inside is fine because you can unload them, at a huge range with invasion beams, before the enemy quad gun intercepts and possibly shots it down.