Author Topic: How much does FoW cost?  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Frost89

• Regular
    • View Profile
How much does FoW cost?
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:15:44 AM »
I've tried to ask this question several times, but i never got an answer.
I understand that it's difficult to answer because there are a lot of variables to account for!

What's the average price for a general (lets say mixed tank/infantry) force, which is roughly equivalent of 1500 points of warhammer 40000?
What's the average terrain required (and its price) for a 1500vs1500 skirmish battle?

thank you :)

farmpunk

Re: How much does FoW cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:21:29 AM »
For a Decent force, you can get into FoW pretty inexpensively. It depends a little on what company you're going to buy models from (BattleFront, Plastic Soldier Company, Zveda, Peter Pig, Old Glory, Point of Contact all have a 15mm WWII range of models)

I would say you're looking at $150-300 depending on how many bells and whistles you want in your army, and if you want Artillery. Of course, if you want in really cheap, you can field a Tiger Company, and get by on $80

the list I took last week to a local tourney would cost:
6 Sherman ($75 Battlefront, $32 PSC)
3 Priest ($33 BF, PSC will have models out this summer)
2 M10 Wolverine ($25 BF, PSC will release this summer)
2 M3A1 Scout cars ($25 BF)
5 M5 Stuarts ($52 BF)
3 M3 Halftracks ($33 BF)
5 Jeeps ($25 BF)
4 105 Howitzers ($60 BF)
2 Staff teams for artillery ($25 BF)
misc. infantry to emerge from the Recon patrol ($20 BF)

so that puts my 1625pt Mid-war nationals force at $350 if buying from BattleFront. Once Plastic Soldier Co is done with their releases this summer, that same force will probably cost $200
You can get by cheaper, but I would expect to put down $200-300 if you're buying from BattleFront. You'll also have a decent sized force to play with.

for terrain, again, you can get by cheaply by constructing 15mm terrain. You can probably find a lot of Model Railroad terrain that will work for you.
BattleField in a Box terrain is another option. it's well made stuff. I feel it's worth the cost. You might want to spend $100 to get terrain like buildings, and foam to cut hills, and felt to cut forests/roads/rivers. There are a lot of doormats that can be cut up to make fields. There are a lot of cheap ways to make terrain.

having said all that, I was fielding an 'expensive' army. One of my toughest matchups was 8 Panthers. You can buy 10 Panthers from PSC for around $60.
or a Tiger force was also pretty inexpensive:
$42 for 3 tigers
$17 plane
$23 for a grenadier platoon
for a total of: $82 from Battlefront

there are pretty cheap options too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:27:21 AM by farmpunk »

Offline SandWyrm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:56:31 AM »
I was at that same tournament with Farmpunk and was running a German medium armor list that took 3rd place.

Here's my list from the (4-year old but still quite good) North Africa book:

HQ
1iC: Panzer IV F2
2iC: Panzer III L w/Shürzen (armored side skirts)

Combat Platoons:
Panzer Platoon
3 Panzer IV F2

Panzer Platoon
4 Panzer III L w/Shürzen

Weapons Platoons
Panzer Scout Platoon
3 Scout Squads + Command Team w/Kübelwagons (German Jeeps)

Support Platoons
Heavy Anti-Aircraft Gun Platoon
2 8.8cm Flak36 w/Extra Crew (for ROF 3)

Light Anti-Aircraft Gun Platoon
2 Sd Kfz 10/5 (2cm) AA Half-Tracks

Total: 1625 (Same as Mid-War Nationals this July)

Here's my cost breakdown, based on retail at my FLGS. TheWarStore is even cheaper.

26.00 - 1 Box of PSC Panzer IV's (5 tanks)
26.00 - 1 Box of PSC Panzer III's (5 tanks)
23.00 - 1 Blister of BF Shützen Platoon (9 stands of Infantry, you need 4 for this list)
12.50 - 1 Blister of BF Motorcycles (4) with Sidecars (I used Kübels, but these are cheaper and work identically.)
26.00 - 1 Box - BF DAK Heavy Anti-Aircraft Gun Platoon
25.00 - 2 Blisters of BF Armored Sd/Kfz 10/5 (2cm) AA Half Track

Total: $138.50

Not bad at all.

I will warn you though, that BF transports are pretty pricey. So if you add in transports for the 88's in my list (a 5-point option you'll rarely use), then it would add another $33.50 to the cost. This is particularly a problem for Germans, as we have so many different kinds of transport vehicle and each infantry/gun platoon can use different types in different lists. But it's still peanuts compared to even cheap 40K armies.

So add in a rulebook set ($60 for 3 books - rules, forces, hobby), plus the North Africa campaign book ($50), and you're looking at not-quite $250 to start. Though if you just want to be able to make NA lists, you can go to easyarmy.com and pay them $3 to use the NA rules with their on-line army builder. It's a good deal and is approved by Battlefront.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:08:23 AM by SandWyrm »

Soul_quake

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:03:51 AM »
FOW has been in comparison to GW very cheap to get into:

I have started an American TD Company:

4 x security sections @ £6.75  (£27)
2 x 4 M10 Wolverines @ £23.40 (£46.80)
1 x 4 M18 Hellcats @ £23.40
1 x 5  M5 Stuarts @ £28.40

So a total of about £130 for a lethal army in late war out of Blood, Guts and Glory. 

I should point that this is ordering off Wayland Games. 

Offline SandWyrm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:18:01 AM »
Oh, and as for terrain...

At first we got by with the 40K-scale hills and trees that they had at the FLGS that we usually play at, because it's closer to us than the one that promotes Flames. But I've been adding to my collection over time. Both by making my own hills, and by buying a bunch of Battlefield-In-A-Box sets, which are really a very good deal for pre-painted terrain.

Here's the terrain density that I think is ideal for Flames:

It makes a huge difference to how the game plays, particularly the buildings. But you don't have to get there right away.

Cost-wise, I'll break down what's in that pic:

$52.00 - 2 BFiaB Small Desert Building Sets (Got an additional building from BF because of in-box damage to one. Yay!).
$26.00 - Large Desert Building
$40.00 - Italian Monastery
$60.00 - 2 Desert Palms Sets
$25.00 - Desert Oasis
$25.00 - Small Desert Hills (rocky) - think this one might be discontinued.
$45.00 - Rural Road Set
$32.00 - My cost to hand-make the sandy hills you see from foam, with textured paints applied.

I made the hedges years ago for WHFB, and the 'vinyard' bases are just WHFB movement trays that I bought somewhere in '98.

So $305 total, though I bought some of it on sale or with tournament winnings. Obviously you can make just about all of that stuff for a lot less, but I feel like I got a good value for the time I saved and it looks very nice. You really can just pop the Battlefield in a Box stuff out of the package and play with it right away.

Offline Frost89

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »
Thanks for all your answers, very detailed and comprehensive!

I wish there was some kind of "upvote" or "reputation" system to give you some points :)