Author Topic: Wound Allocation - Non Breakable way?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Wyrmnax

• Regular
    • View Profile
Wound Allocation - Non Breakable way?
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:25:45 AM »
Seeing as Fester already found out a way to break wound allocation, i think - is it possible to make a rule regarding wound allocation that isnt that easy to break?

All the latest wound distributions had their own issues, to note:
4th edition - The guys carrying the special weapons were always the last ones to die.
5th edition - Multi wound model shennigans, plus firing more shots on a unit could mean you got less dead models.
6th edition - multi wound models + IC shennigans + whatever else we havent figured out yet.

Can we come up with some sort of way of distribution wounds that is:
- Somewhat fair - IE: You dont end up with your important guys surviving all the time
- Not overly complex so it doesnt take too long to resolve
- Doesnt involve rolling 45 dice for each wound applied
- Hard to break
- Works when you start using multi wound models
?

Offline WestRider

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Wound Allocation - Non Breakable way?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:51:49 AM »
With the much greater Firepower that modern Armies can bring to bear, and the increase in use of MSU, I think a return to something similar to 4th Ed style Wound Allocation would make the Torrent of Fire Rule actually start coming into play regularly. Which would make for a simple system with a small, but non-negligible chance of sniping out special Models.
Anything taken to its logical extreme is depressing, if not carcinogenic.
- Ursula K. LeGuin

Offline Tapeworm711

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »
Remember the 6th edition wound abuse is only possible if you hit the unit in the IC first. If you use more mobile units to flank the unit, they can no longer execute the shenanigans.

gene14stein

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »
Really like your blog and many types of articles. Linked that to be able to my personal FB site! Excellent ideas for exactly where I'm with together with my personal editing. and one more thing I am searching for forums which have fantastic suggestions about what exactly is in fashion and also exactly what the best makeup will be.

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
So what it's broken about the 6th ed system?
In normal situations it is quicker and makes more sense. Quick rolling actually works unlike in 5th, where almost every unit had at least 4 wound groups to allocate to anyway.

The weird situations where allocation matters do take longer, but are based on LOS! So it's not a given that the shenanigans will even happen.
Also these weird situations are far less common.

As far as multi wound models like carnifex of canoptek spiders/scarabs go, I think it is cool and fluffy to have the wounded model move to the back, I mean that's cinematic/realistic right?

Offline MickyLevi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »
Besides, you'll only expect to have 1-2 ICs on your typical list (although, of course, you're going to have people spam them), and for normal 'sergent' type characters, LOS! is on a 4+.... so yeah, they might run with the leader at the front with the good armour save, but he's not going to be able to avoid that many wounds with LOS! rolls before he's toast.