Author Topic: Using an IC to Give a Unit a Better Save  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Sir Biscuit

• Lead Design
  • Administrator
  • gamegamegamegame
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the New Black
Using an IC to Give a Unit a Better Save
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
Here's a fun trick that no one seems to be latching onto yet.

Put an IC into a squad, and make sure that IC has a better save. For instance, let's say we have a Rune-Armored Rune Priest leading Grey Hunters.

Put your IC in the front.

"Look Out, Sir" says you can use it to shift saved OR UNSAVED wounds. That means your Rune Priest can take every hit on his 2+, only shifting the ones he fails to other members of the squad, which he also does on a 2+. So your entire squad effectively has his 2+ save.

It does make him a bit more likely to be ID'd, but you can play it by ear and shift him further back into the squad if that looks like a real threat.
Email: sirbiscuit@gmail.com

Talk to me anytime.

Offline Tapeworm711

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Using an IC to Give a Unit a Better Save
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »
You cannot LoS a wound once its failed. In a mixed save unit, the time to LoS is when you allocate the wound to a model. He chooses to either attempt a save, or to LoS that wound (That is LoSing WOUNDS)

In a simple (all same save unit), you LoS after all the wounds have been rolled/failed. If an UNSAVED WOUND would be assigned to a model, they then can attempt to LoS it.

Offline jasonc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
It doesn't say Saved or Unsaved wounds as Sir Biscuit says; it says "Wounds (or unsaved wounds)".

As has been discussed elsewhere, it appears if you take either definition by itself, they both refer to before you attempt a save. Afterall, you allocate 'wounds' before you roll saves; and there is a long list of things in the rulebook where 'unsaved wound' is cited as prior to taking saves, ie unsaved = havent attempted to save.

It is confusing and I thought the same thing, but this dramatically alters the game.

Offline Sir Biscuit

• Lead Design
  • Administrator
  • gamegamegamegame
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the New Black
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »
Oh, I see, so it's a timing issue that defeats it.  That makes sense.  Thanks guys.
Email: sirbiscuit@gmail.com

Talk to me anytime.

Coyote81

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
The reasoning for the tactic is still sound fyi. Just shift wounds that your other guys get saves against once your Priest has taken a wound, to keep him from dying.

Offline jasonc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »
Yeah you can still manipulate things to absorb hits/damage.

A good example is a character with multiple wounds, 2+ invuln, and fortune (dark eldar in an eldar unit). You can throw small arms onto the character if you want, for a 2+/2+ but when an instant death comes your way, throw it on the unit rather than take the risk. Of course in this case you lose your invuln when you fail the 2+/2+, but if it just kept all those fire dragons invulnerable for a turn...

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »
Mechanium has ben doing it with terminator Armoured Wolf Guard and Rune Priests, and I've been using Sempiternal Weaved Lords/Overlords/ and destroyer lords.

i pretty much dont care if the lord or overlord dies to boltgun fire, cause its gonna take a lot and ill be on the winning end of that little disupute when im protecting 20 warriors, i just LoS! when he gets hit by plasma or lascannon or missile hits.

Throwing all the battle cannon wounds onto a destroyer lord in the front with 2+ toughness 6 is pretty useful vs guard.

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
  • You require additional dakka
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
1) Give dark eldar character shadow field
2) have this character join an eldar ally unit
3) have the farseer cast Fortune on this ally unit
4) Fortune can target the eldar unit as per its wording, but it also affects every model in the unit, including the dark eldar character
5) enjoy your rerollable 2++