Author Topic: 50% Reserve Rule Confusion  (Read 5044 times)

Offline MadmanMSU

• View Profile
50% Reserve Rule Confusion
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:45:03 AM »
Right. So you can only keep half your army in reserve now, rounded up. So which of the following situations is accurate?

EXAMPLE:

7 Units in a Blood Angels army. 1 of the units, a dreadnaught, selects a drop pod as a dedicated transport. Since drop pods do not count towards the 50% reserve limit......

A) ....do you get to keep 4 units in reserve? Because 7 divided by 2 is 3.5, rounded up to 4, and the drop pod doesn't count towards the limit?

B) ....do you get to keep 3 units in reserve? Because the drop pod doesn't count towards the limit, you take half of 6 units. 6 divided by 2 is 3.

Offline Chair126

• View Profile
Re: 50% Reserve Rule Confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »
in that situation isnt it the same anyway? just the 2nd situation the drop pod doesnt count so you get 3 units + drop pod. 1st situation youve already counted drop

i guess that means the 2nd is right but you dont count pods on either side of the equation

Offline MadmanMSU

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:47:32 AM »
in that situation isnt it the same anyway?

No.  A and B above are mutually exclusive... It can't be both.  You can either reserve 3 or 4 units, depending on your interpretation of the rules.

Let me put this another way:

SAMPLE ARMY

Blood Angels

Mephiston

Tactical Squad
Tactical Squad

Predator
Predator

Rifledread w/ Drop Pod

Sanguinary Guard

Q: How many units can you put in reserve, given this hypothetical army list?  3 or 4?

There are 7 units in the army.  Half of 7 is 3.5, rounded up to 4.  So you can put 4 units in reserve.  Since the rifledread has a drop pod, he HAS to go into reserve, therefore he DOES NOT count against the limit, so you can put 4 OTHER units into reserve.

OR.....

There are 7 units in the army.  Half of 7 is 3.5, rounded up to 4.  However, since the rifeldread is in a drop pod, he HAS TO go into reserve, so he does not count towards your army units, which means you technically have 6 units.  Half of 6 is 3, so you can put 3 OTHER units in reserve.

Does that make it clear why I am confused?  Does anyone else see why this is problematic, or am I just crazy?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:54:36 AM by MadmanMSU »

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
Pg 124; Reserves: Preparing Reserves-units that must start the game In reserves are ignored for the purposes of working out how many other units may do so.

Offline Tarrasq

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
This is how it works simplified:

Add up the total number of units.
Subtract the number of units that must start in reserve.
Then divide by half and that is the number of units you can reserve.

Dedicated transports and the units they are purchased for on your army list count as one unit for reserve purposes.
Independent characters count as a separate unit.

For your example you have 7 units, subtract 1 for the dread pod combo, giving you 6 units and 3 of those can be held in reserve.

Dantalian

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:25:10 AM »
I'd like to add a slight spin on the question: How many units do 3 Sanguinary Priests count as?  They are purchased as a single slot, and from my understanding of the rules they are not added to the unit(s) they will be joining until deployment (i.e. after going in reserve), so until that point are they considered 1 unit or 3?  To me it looks like Combat Squading, where it starts as a single unit of 3 and then splits into 3 single units after deployment.
Dante
Sanguinary Guard
Sanguinary Priest x 3
Assault Squad
Tactical Squad
Vanguard Veterans

Do I have 6 units here or 8?

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:12:57 PM »
Pg 124; Reserves: Preparing Reserves-units that must start the game In reserves are ignored for the purposes of working out how many other units may do so.
Question answered.

I'd like to add a slight spin on the question: How many units do 3 Sanguinary Priests count as?  They are purchased as a single slot, and from my understanding of the rules they are not added to the unit(s) they will be joining until deployment (i.e. after going in reserve), so until that point are they considered 1 unit or 3?  To me it looks like Combat Squading, where it starts as a single unit of 3 and then splits into 3 single units after deployment.
Dante
Sanguinary Guard
Sanguinary Priest x 3
Assault Squad
Tactical Squad
Vanguard Veterans

Do I have 6 units here or 8?
This would be nice to know though...

Personally I'd say they're counted separately, because while they're chosen in the same slot, they're essentially separate units.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 03:15:44 AM »
Do they operate like wolf guard and crypteks where they are placed with the unit and can't leave our are they independent characters?

If they are IC they count as a unit each just like dante.

Offline WestRider

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:57 AM »
"Independent Characters are also counted as a single Unit regardless of whether they have Joined another Unit or not." More or less in the middle of the first "Preparing Reserves" paragraph on Pg. 124.
Anything taken to its logical extreme is depressing, if not carcinogenic.
- Ursula K. LeGuin

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »
"Independent Characters are also counted as a single Unit regardless of whether they have Joined another Unit or not." More or less in the middle of the first "Preparing Reserves" paragraph on Pg. 124.
It's not that they have joined units or anything, but that they're chosen in the same slot. Same with Dark Eldar Haemonculi.

Though I do think they're counted separately as they're IC's. Well, at least Haemonculi are. I'm not so familiar with Blood Angels.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

Offline WestRider

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
There are specific rulings for some Units that are chosen together as part of the same slot, like IG Platoons and Dedicated Transports, saying that they count as a single Unit for Reserves/Deployment purposes. This heavily implies that in the absence of such a ruling, anything that's a separate Unit is, in fact, treated as a separate Unit.

And yes, Sanguinary Priests are ICs.
Anything taken to its logical extreme is depressing, if not carcinogenic.
- Ursula K. LeGuin

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Yeah if they are IC its pretty cut and dry.