Author Topic: Orkz in 6th  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
  • You require additional dakka
    • View Profile
Orkz in 6th
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:17:40 PM »
If I'm not playing Necrons I'm playing Orkz

Mob Rule doesn't screw you over with No Retreat wounds anymore!
Furious Charge doesnt boost Initiative, only Strength :(
Waaagh! is very different, letting you re-roll runs and charges instead of allowing you to charge after running. Essentially swapping longer charge ranges for more reliable charge ranges for a turn. It also means that the Orkz can shoot on their Waaagh! turn now, a very big difference to last edition

Ghazghkull, being S10 T5 W4 2+ eternal warrior, is still one of the hardest characters in the game, becoming the hardest during his Waaagh! Unfortunately his Waaagh! got a little more awkward to use. Instead of giving Fleet like the normal one, it instead allows you to automatically run 6". This stops you charging. I guess the best thing to do would be to have Ghazzy charge a turn ahead, call his Waaagh! while in combat to get that 2++, and to have all the Orkz catch up with a 6" run, then charge next turn. Or, have them run 6" forwards, ready to overwatch anyone who runs into them.

Mad Dok Grotsnik unfortunately still suffers from old skool Rage, and with the general debuff to FNP, he isn't as big a deal as before. With his combat stats being one point of Strength less than a power klaw warboss, I doubt Grotsnik will be considered much anymore

Wazzdakka Gutsmek is rocking that T6 now, and of course lets you have an army of T5 biker bastards. With a power klaw and a S8 4 shot gun he can fire while turbo boosting, Wazzdakka is a speedy anti-vehicle character, and is pretty good overall

Old Zogwort can put a stop to IC wound shenanigans by turning them into Squigs. Lets see you look out sir that!

Warbosses are extremely survivable now thanks to look out sir, having a 2+ to bounce all their wounds onto the massive pile of boyz/nobz. A Warboss with just a power klaw is pretty cheap for the damage he puts out

Big Meks are still the big chunk of moving cover. As cover in general is a 5+, the KFF matches that now, including for vehicles. As a bonus, he can sit inside a Battlewagon and repair hull points. Alternatively, the Shokk attack gun does its (random) damage to vehicles across all of its big template, with AP2

Weirdboyz arent entirely terrible because they give a boost to Deny the Witch. Still the worst HQ choice in the codex though

Nobz are all characters. Ah-hahahahaha. Is Nob Biker deffstar back? Maybe, but Wazzdakka and/or a PK Warbikerboss in a Nob Biker mob will be very hard to take out without specific shooting attacks
Burna Boyz do roughly a billion Overwatch shots on whoever charges them, and still have power weapons if they didnt fire in their previous turn
Lootas can move and fire! They can move, fire and charge if theyre joined by somebody wearing Mega Armour, as slow & purposeful is applied to the entire unit
Kommandos cant assualt the turn they arrive on the table. Snikrot is now useless.
Nobz in Boyz mobs are going to have to hide in the middle until they can punch something. a 4+ look out sir will only go so far!
I honestly expected Trukks to get 2 hull points instead of 3. thats something, i suppose
Stormboyz get impact hits, and Zagstruk is one of the few characters able to assault straight out of reserves, which are much more reliable npw.
TL rokkit buggy squadrons arent so fragile as they can leave immobilised members behind. theyre likely to just collapse before that happens though
deffkoptas are much faster now, being jetbikes, and have full T5! no more first turn charge due to scout changes though
Battlewagons join the 4 hull point club, deffrollas are still as good as they used to be, they can fire all of their guns when they move, four big shootas are a good buffer for stopping the killkannon getting knocked off, and their big mek can repair their hull points. a general improvement
big gunz are pretty tough now, for their price
badrukk ignores cover with his three shot plasma gun? are flash gits worth considering now? no?

im going to advocate Necrons as allies for Orks, because it means i dont have to buy any new models
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:25:12 PM by Scuzgob »

lewdburrito

Re: Orkz in 6th
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:05 AM »
What about flyers? The blitza-bommer and burna-bommer still seem like trash, but I would think that the dakka jet is pretty decent. Given, this is mostly due to the widespread lack of Skyfire weapons.

Also, I would think that sticking some lootaz in something durable like a battlewagon for a mobile fire platform would be pretty decent too. (Though not as good as that mega-armor idea for mobile dakka). But in this case they could have the option to snapfire even after moving 12". I don't know how much snapfire hurts ork accuracy, but I don't think it'd be that bad. I haven't done the math because I'm terrible with correctly calculating probability.

Any other orky ideas?

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »
What about flyers? The blitza-bommer and burna-bommer still seem like trash, but I would think that the dakka jet is pretty decent. Given, this is mostly due to the widespread lack of Skyfire weapons.

Also, I would think that sticking some lootaz in something durable like a battlewagon for a mobile fire platform would be pretty decent too. (Though not as good as that mega-armor idea for mobile dakka). But in this case they could have the option to snapfire even after moving 12". I don't know how much snapfire hurts ork accuracy, but I don't think it'd be that bad. I haven't done the math because I'm terrible with correctly calculating probability.

Any other orky ideas?

ive not used any of the new flyers yet, but the amount of dakka that the dakkajet puts out seems very nice, especially for shooting down other flyers.

snapfire doesnt hurt Orks as much as other armies, they go from hitting on a 5+ to hitting on a 6

lewdburrito

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:08 AM »
snapfire doesnt hurt Orks as much as other armies, they go from hitting on a 5+ to hitting on a 6

I was more referring to how that change from 5+ to 6 affects the likelihood of them damaging vehicles/inflicting wounds. On the surface it seems like a 50% decrease in effectiveness. But I don't really know the baseline to see how much that matters.

Though it is a bit nitpicky, I wonder if the fact that embarked models in an open-topped vehicle can all shoot from any point on the hull could used to any sort of advantage. Some sort of cover manipulation is what readily comes to mind, but maybe also useful from a wound allocation standpoint? I really don't know, I'm just kind of thinking out loud.

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »
deffrolla is unfortunatly useless because models cant disembark before or after tankshock.

Wazdakka is good, but remember bike and nobz especially
-1-Cover saves from turbo boosting are only 4up now, so no improvement over the smole cloud
-2-FNP being nerfed a bit make biker nobs a lot less durable.

essentially a unit of turbo boosting nobs was 3+/4+ and now they are 4+/5+, that is a big difference.

my buddy used some lootas recently and they put in a lotta work, especially against chimera chasis, glance all day long!!
He also used them vs my 13 armoured necron vehicles though, and was dissapointed...

I think orks with necron allies is a good idea too, just use the standard necron allies template of

Overlord in command barge
10 immortals with cryptek in night scythe
10 immortals with cryptek in night scythe
perhaps a doom scythe?

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
yup, 2D6 S10 hits against any vehicle the battlewagon rams is certainly useless.

all Ork bikers are now T5 full stop. This means that only S10 hits can cancel out their FNP, a nice trade for having FNP on a 5+ i feel. warbosses and wazdakka are T6!

i would have at least one cryptek in a necron allied force, for the solar pulse. night fight isnt as good as it used to be, but it can still deny your opponent most of his first shooting phase, which is always good for orkz