Author Topic: Combat Crons List/6th advice  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
Combat Crons List/6th advice
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
I've been wondering how a list like this would do in 6th. I don't get to play very much +1K battles and the few I got to test these ideas out in were sort of unflattering...
I could just switch to the Night scythes I love so much, but now that I don't want to scare people off from higher points just as I've got them to humor me.

I have a framework here and I was wondering if you had any ideas. I think the new rules buff the concept quite a bit, but it's got a lot of expensive pieces.

- Overlord
+ Warscythe, Command Barge... 180

- Overlord
+ Warscythe, Command Barge... 180

- 6 Wraiths
+ 3 Whipcoils... 240

- 6 Wraiths
+ 3 Whipcoils... 240

- 8 Necron Warriors
+ 2 Lords w/ Warscythe, Mind Shackle Scarabs
+ Ghost Ark... 339

- 5 Necron Warriors
+ 2 Harbingers Of Destruction, Solar Pulse
+ Ghost Ark... 250

- 5 Necron Warriors
+ 2 Harbingers Of Destruction, Solar Pulse
+ Ghost Ark... 250

I'm very curious about how far points spent on +2 armor saves will go, and if mind shackles on the overlords are a good idea.

If I were to play this at 2000 points I'd be a bit worried I wasn't making the most of my points vs the swell of silly allies and 2xFOC armies out there and I'd want to slide in an extra troop choice somewhere. But at anything less than 2k I don't have much hope for including the wonderful destructors every necron player loves so much and further buffs on the existing troops to make them more presentable can get you to 1750 or 1850 already, give or take a warrior or two.

That advancing Ark sure could get scary though, and it really provided the punch needed to make use of how solid and fast the wraiths are. Plus when supported those warriors can really stick around. Buffering the Lords got a little different, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the situations that will be coming up.

Thanks for your help.

Love the blog,
L

Combat Crons ain't going to work with that small a Warrior squad. You need something like 15+ Warriors with the Attached Lords. The issue is you're spending a lot of points on the Overlords when you don't really need to anymore - I'd probably drop both the Barges, one of the Overlords and attach him + a Lord to the new 15x Warriors. Give them Sycthes + MSS and one Orb. Keep the other Warriors + Ghost Arks as they are.

Then grab some Annihilation Barges + a Doom Scythe & with spare points (particularly if taking to 2000 points), 2x5x Immortals w/Stormtek + Night Scythe. If you're not wanting to run the Night Scythes pushing these on foot with larger squads works as well and can therefore be fit into 1750. Any points need shaving further look to trim the Wraiths.

We're not going with the 2+ save on the characters because, well MSS is better really. If you have spare points you can chuck them on but you still die to PFists and the like and Scythes aren't going to stop characters w/Invuls & Pfists unless they get really lucky. Which means you'd need a 3++ as well and that's just way too many points.
- Kirby.