Author Topic: Greeting from France !! (ok... 1750 SM list review ;p)  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
Greeting from France !! (ok... 1750 SM list review ;p)
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
Hi Kirby,

Ive been an avid 3++ reader for over a year now, but it's actually my first mail to you. With the arrival of the 6th ed, i've finally decided to start new army from scratch and decided to go with some loyalist SM.

I think hitting the 1750pts mark would be nice to start with since my local club is used to the 1500  format, but i'd want them to move on to a higher point count for the sake of variety.

I've been refining the core of my list, but end up with an odd number of points (60) and I ain't exactly satisfied with the various options i've found (telion? techmarine? landspeeder?). Here is where I stand at the moment :

Librarian (100)
Null zone, Infinity gate

-----------------------------------

Dreadnought (125)
2x twinlinked Autocanon

Dreadnought (125)
2x twin linked Autocanon

5 Assault Terminators (200)
Thunder hammers & Shield

----------------------------------

10 Tactical squad (215)
Multi melta, Flamer
Sergeant with pistol/ccw & melta bomb
Rhino

10 Tactical squad (215)
Multi-melta, Flamer
Sergeant with pistol/ccw & melta bomb
Rhino

5 scouts (90)
Sniper rifles, cloaks

2 assault bikes (100)
Multi melta

2 assault bikes (100)
Multi melta

Predator (85)
Heavy bolters

Predator (85)
Heavy bolters

Land Raider (250)

TOTAL : 1690 pts

I'm aiming at an average SM army you could find in a tournament. Considering I don't want to play bikes nor a pod heavy army, how do you find this one ? What would you add (or change) to reach the 1750 mark ? Thanks for your help and for providing me my 40k fix every day !

Cheers,
Khragg

The core list is solid but I worry about the scoringpotential of the list. I'd rather drop the Landraider, shore up the TH/SS size and grab another Tactical squad. If you drop the Land Raider and add 2-3 TH/SS and drop the scouts you could get 2x5x Tacticals in a Razorback though this isn't very efficient. You could also try for some Allies - drop the Scouts and Land Raider, add the extra TH/SS and then look at Space Wolves or Blood Angels or Imperial Guard to add in some extra scoring punch.

Space Wolves can add a Rune Priest and a big Grey Hunter or two small Grey Hunter squads in Rhinos/RBacks.
BA can add Mephiston and 2 smaller ASM squads in RBacks/Rhinos.
IG can add a Psyker or CCS and lots of platoons leaving the SM to do what they do best in midfield.

Otherwise I'd look at upgrading the Land Raider to a Crusader and grabbing an extra TH/SS to shove in there.
- Kirby.

Khragg

Re: Greeting from France !! (ok... 1750 SM list review ;p)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:55 AM »
Hi there !

Thanks for the reply and analysis ! Quite amusingly I arrived to much the same conclusions regarding scoring presence and use of the LR. I've thrown it out and first tried a list with preds armed with lasers, but still didn't like it. Therefore I went for the 2x5 SM + lasplas Razorbacks.

I don't want to field allies at that point because i'm seeing a lot of tournaments asking for "no allies" (a shame really...). I also want to wait for the new rules for DA to know if a deathwing wing would be better than IG as an ally. So here is my latest version :

Libby

2x Rifflemen Dreads

5x Termies

2x 10 SM with Melta/MultiMelta in rhinos

2x 5 SM in Lasplas Razorbacks

5 sniper scouts with a ML

2x landspeeders with 2xMM

2x Dakka preds

1750 spot on

The main issue I was having when building the list was regarding the libby. Where to put him, and what to do with him. This is also one of the reason i went with 2 razorbacks and not a single unit in a rhino. I'm still wondering what to do with him though. On the other hand, having a MotF with a beam converter could be nice..... Opinions anyone ?

Offline Kirby

• Pink Overlord
  • Administrator
  • Regular
    • View Profile
    • 3++ is the new black
Re: Greeting from France !! (ok... 1750 SM list review ;p)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »
With the Termies is best - be careful with only five of them though. They are pretty easy to torrent down. I'd look to try and make them atleast 7 strong + Libby which would mean dropping the Scouts.
- Kirby.