Author Topic: Ogre Kingdoms 2k  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
Ogre Kingdoms 2k
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
*edited to not be too high in rare.

294-Slaughtermaster lvl 3 Lore of the Great Maw, great weapon, forbidden rod

162-Bruiser bsb with brace of handguns, heavy armor, banner of discipline

172-5 Bulls w/iron fists, musician
172-5 Bulls w/iron fists, musician
268-6 Ironguts w/musician

139-3 leadbelchers w/ musician
139-3 leadbelchers w/ musician

63-3X1 Sabretusk

170-2x mournfangs w/heavy armor and iron fists, musician and standard bearer, banner of eternal flame

170-iron blaster

250-Thunder tusk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:03:51 AM by Majinmonkey »

Mechanium

Re: Ogre Kingdoms 2k
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
Wouldn't blocking up the bulls one unit be better? With 5 shooting units, and the saber tusks, you should be controlling movement pretty well, whereas being 4 deep might let you get ranks on a hammer unit (it will vs a cav unit), and moving to 4 wide will let you put the hurt on tarpits.

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
Sooo, I didn't really do my math quite well enough, too many points in rare, so I had to drop the second iron blaster for 3 mourn fangs with a musician and standard bearer, heavy armor and Shields, and banner of eternal flame.

Offline Saramoff

• View Profile
    • Melta Martini: Shaken, not stunned.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:29:55 AM »
Off the top of my head:

Drop the Great Weapon and grab an Ironfist on the Slaughtermaster, you might as well get yourself a 6+/6++ for cheap as chips OR grab an Enchanted Shield. Drop the Forbidden Rod, pick up Grut's Sickle as your go-to spell improvements. Hellheart for magic defence.

Bruiser looks fine. Give him an Ironfist, IIRC it'll stack with the Brace of Ogre Pistols. That or give him an Enchanted Shield if you didn't give it to the Slaughtermaster.

Might want a full command on your bulls but if you want to skim points then drop the Champion first, banner second, keep the musician.

I don't feel Ironguts will fit into this list that well. If you want some heavy hitting melee carnage, grab some Mournfangs.

Speaking of which, 3 leadbelchers just isn't enough, even in 2 units. I'd honestly scrap them and take either Mournfangs (with an ironfist, heavy armour and some command) or Maneaters (with Braces of Ogre Pistols and potentially a command). Sure, you'll lose shooting if you take mournfangs (which you replace with an beast of a cavalry unit that hits like a truck) but if the Mournfangs don't suit to your tastes, Maneaters can provide shooting, close combat, wizard sniping, etc. etc.

Ironblasters are fine. Not sure about the Thundertusk; lone monsters tend to attract a lot of cannonballs. You could probably gut it out and add in either the mournfangs or maneaters you didn't take.

Just my two pence.

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
I'd definitely be upgrading the Slaughtermaster to Level 4. 35 points for +1 to cast, dispel and an extra spell is worth more than any magic item of similar effect. Then maybe Glittering Scales and the WS10 swords (forgot the name) so he's almost impossible to hit. Throw an Iron Fist on if you've got spare points and you've got yourself a very tanky Slaughtermaster.

I'd definitely be getting banners on all your Ogres and Irongut units. You'll need them for combat res as well as your Breaking Point for Blood and Glory.

Maybe downgrade the Ironguts to just regular Ogres. The points for just a Great Weapon is pretty insane. That's just my opinion though. Not everyone seems to agree, but it would free up points for banners and the like.

I also agree that you should probably lose the lone monster. Though I'd spend the points on another Ironblaster and try to bump the Leadbelchers up to 4 each. They have the power to remove whole units from the table at a time, but you do need enough of them.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

Offline Saramoff

• View Profile
    • Melta Martini: Shaken, not stunned.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:42:59 AM »
I'd definitely be upgrading the Slaughtermaster to Level 4. 35 points for +1 to cast, dispel and an extra spell is worth more than any magic item of similar effect. Then maybe Glittering Scales and the WS10 swords (forgot the name) so he's almost impossible to hit. Throw an Iron Fist on if you've got spare points and you've got yourself a very tanky Slaughtermaster.

When I run my Slaughtermaster, I don't ask 'how will I be harder to kill in close combat?' because he has an Ogre statline and decks other wizards in the face. If you want to kit your Slaughtermaster for defence, you need to protect him from shooting, artillery and magic more than close combat.

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »

When I run my Slaughtermaster, I don't ask 'how will I be harder to kill in close combat?' because he has an Ogre statline and decks other wizards in the face. If you want to kit your Slaughtermaster for defence, you need to protect him from shooting, artillery and magic more than close combat.
Of course he can punch other wizards in the face. But throw him at a combat character and it's usually going to be a different story.

If you wanted to protect him more, give him a talisman of preservation. Armour's pointless against artillery and a decent number of magic attacks, while against shooting he shouldn't even be getting hit because those hits would be going on your standard ogres. He's also got a LoS! against any artillery that comes his way.

Combat's really the only place he'll actually get hurt outside of things like Final Transmutation and Purple Sun, but there's nothing you can do about those.

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »
Yeah, I don't feel right running magic armor on my wizards, although I wouldn't worry about it so much in a competitive environment.

To be honest I most often run him with a talisman of preservation, although toughness 5 and the ability to heal himself with 5 wounds means I don't have to worry about him dying to str 3 models, str 4 is worrisome and str 5 makes me sweat.

He's just a really big investment to run with no protection, and relying on trollguts is not a path I like to take.

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:04 PM »
My main worry would be units suicide charging you to take out your Slaughtermaster. Things like Dryads with Wyssans Wildform, Plague Censer Bearers, Assassins, Executioners (if your opponents actually think ASL Elves are good), Swordmasters, White Lions and any other S5+ unit that can come cheaper than your Slaughtermaster are what I'd be scared of. Sacrificing a unit that can cost barely more than 100 points for your 300-odd point Slaughtermaster is something I'd gladly do. Being your General he's also offering up a further 100 Victory Points and being your only mage he'd give your opponent completely free rein over the magic phase.

That's why I'd be going with the "you can only hit me on 6's" build, but it is just a friendly list so I guess it's not so important. In a competitive list though I'd be doing that way before I ever took a Talisman of Preservation because combat will be the death of him.