Author Topic: Tau Fandex- in progress  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
Tau Fandex- in progress
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:11 AM »
This is one of my first serious attempts at a fandex, and I'm not going to be able to put all my thoughts down in a single session. This is probably going to require a couple passes to get point costs right, so please be patient. Any thoughts are welcome.

Army Special Rules:
Water Caste Alliances- If a list uses double FoC, your ally choices does not need to both be drawn from the same codex. These allies are limited by the Allies Matrix- For example, though either can ally with Tau, you cannot ally with Demons and Blood Angels at the same time, as they will never ally with each other under any circumstances.

Markerlights: A markerlight token lasts until the start of your next turn, and can only be used by models with a Target Lock. (basically everything Tau, but not Kroot or Vespid)
A token can be used to:
Fire a snap shot at full BS
Fire a non snap shot at +1 BS
Fire a Markerlight missile
Force a target to reroll a sucessful armor or cover save

In addition, a Markerlight token can illuminate a target in night fighting, or reduce the enemy BS by 1.

Troops:
Fire warriors (pulse rifles, Devilfish)
Pathfinders (pulse carbines/markerlights, scout, Stealth/shroud, jetpacks... 2 per squad can be upgraded to a Stealth Suit, with a Burst Cannon or a Fusion Blaster)
(Kroot troop)
(vespid troop)

Elites:
Crisis suits (firing two weapons becomes standard, can equip two of the same weapon, replace flamer option with Heavy Flamer, option for a "Multi-tracker" that allows each suit to fire on multiple targets, like Shadowsun's Advanced Target Lock), option for targetting array (can choose to gain a single markerlight benifit without a markerlight, but only for the mounting model)

Water Caste Diplomat: Water Caste Diplomat can attach to allied formations, even if they are not Battle brothers. (various upgrades, can give bonuses to allies.) Desperate allies still must check for betrayal every turn the Watercaste Diplomat is attached.

Earth Caste Field Engineering Team- uses suits like Crisis suits, but works like Techmarines. High toughness, high strength, low init, no guns. Has Maintanace Drones. Think the Lifter from Aliens.

Sniper Drones

Fast Attack:
Stealth Fighter Drone (see forgeworld)
Gun drone squadron
Vespid elite unit
Kroot cavalry
Piranna squadron

Heavy Support:
Hammerhead (HH Railgun is treated as a Beam attack, no submunition capability)
SkyRay (can choose whether to be operating in Skyfire mode on any given turn)
Broadsides (can fire submunitions! Have drone options standard)
Tau Bomber

HQ:
Etherial (army morale buffs)
-named Etherial (space pope)

Water Caste- Extra Ally FoC slots (even if Tau is the ally)
-Named Water Caste giving army wide buffs, treating Allies of Convenience as Battle Brothers.

Fire Caste Suit
-Farsight makes Crisis Suits troops

Air Caste Battlespace Coordinater- Bonuses to Drones/vehicals/fliers
-(Shadowsun?)

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
Re: Tau Fandex- in progress
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »
Vespid Hive warriors- 5-15 Vespid
Jump troops, skilled fliers (reroll dangerous terrain tests), Stubborn, Hit and Run
WS 3, BS 3, S3, T3, W1, Init 5, A2, Ld 8 5+/6++

Thoughts? Appropriate points per model?

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:59 AM »
What is the flavor behind the stubborn and 6++ save on the vespid?
Is the stubborn a limited hive mind? Not fearless like nids, but also not brain less? Is the 6++ like a dodge save?
As written i think i'd put them somewhere between 10 to 15 points per model.

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
Sounds about right. judging by the (limited) lore available in the Tau codex. the Vespid Strainleader had a "communion helm" impliying to me at least some form of racial telepathy that needed an EEG (or grimdark equivilant) to be understood by the Watercaste. Nevertheless, they had their own technoligy, such as the crystals that were used in the Vespid neutron Blasters. Their battlefield role is supposed to be a combination of fast scorers and expendable "hive drones" that can harass and block the enemy, willing to make the sacrifices for the Queen and the Greater Good. More elite Vespid troops would fall under the FA choice.

And yea, the 6++ is a dodge save.
Weapony will probably be Pulse Carbines. It's not very likely that someone will fail a pinning check, if they have to roll at all, but that kind of cheap, lightweight and short range weaponry fits how I see the unit.

I'd really like to lowball the price of the unit, as their tactics require a certian amount of unit spam. Nevertheless, the invuln save and hit and Run give them a good chance to stick around longer than most bubblewrap units. Call it 12 points per model?

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »
Hit and run sounds more elite then they seem to be, also as far as flavor goes, aren't hit and run and stubborn polar opposites?

Hit and run is tactical mobility for the purpose of getting out of a losing combat and pushing on to other priorities.
It implies a level of tactical awareness and knowledge of battlefield goals not generally common in basic infantry.

While on the other side of the spectrum, stubborn is about holding in the face of overwhelming odds, the ability to steadfastly ignore losses of your comrades. It is fear of execution (IG), it is resolute determination (Fists chapters), or unshakable faith.

The stubborn  troops protecting the objective the queen deems vital seems a perfect fit.

I think you could argue the hit and run is them receiving orders to redeploy to another objective issued by the strain leader or the queen, but I think that kind of mobility demands a point bump. These are already among the cheapest jump troops available

I would price them at 12 with just stubborn, and 15 with hit and run.

Or perhaps both worlds, they are 12 points with only stubborn and can buy hit and run for 3 points per model

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:29 AM »
Given how shooty Tau is, havng an assault unit you dont want to die instantly, *without* hit and run, becomes counterproductive.
I'd much rather have it the other way around, having Hit and Run standard, with Stubborn being conferred by a "Communion Helm" upgrade.

Water Caste Diplomats: The concept is great, but I'm having a hard time coming up with actual special abilities for them, that they can plausably offer their allies and that allies might actually want. Some ideas include...

"Cross Training: All special rules of any model (not granted by equipment) in the unit WCD is attached to may be conferred to all models in the unit."

"Technologic Trade: At list creation, choose an allied squad. WCD is considered a squad upgrade and a character, and has access to any equipment for the same prices that the allied unit does. In addition, the WCD and his squad gain access to the following upgrades- Blacksun Filters, (new) target locks, Pulse Rifles." (x points each)