Author Topic: 1850 Space Wolves with GK Allies  (Read 2130 times)

Offline kildash

• View Profile
1850 Space Wolves with GK Allies
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:01:30 AM »
Hey guys, I recently sent an e-mail to kirby with a new list i'm thinking about for 6th, but Kirby seems busy and I'm running out of time for a tournament (plus i'm impatient, haha  ;) )

here's the mail:

'm trying to adapt my space wolves for 6th. I've considered using deathwing allies a lot, or my eldar, but now I've swung to the Grey Knights. I've written up the following:

Rune Priest with jaws of the world wolf and living lightning
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with bolt pistol, chainsword and 2x servo-skull

Wolf Guard Pack:
-Wolf Guard with combi-plasma
-Wolf Guard with bolt pistol and close combat weapon
Lone Wolf in Terminator Armour with Chainfist and Storm Shield

5 Grey Hunters with plasmagun in Rhino Transport
5 Grey Hunters with flamer in Razorback with lascannon and twin-linked plasmagun
10 Grey Knight Terminators, including 2x Psycannon and psybolt ammunition
3 Acolyte Henchmen in Razorback with twin-linked heavy bolter and psybolt ammunition

6 Long Fangs, including pack leader and 5x missile launcher
Vindicator
Vindicator
Grey Knight Dreadnought with 2x twin-linked autocannon and psybolt ammunition

Total: 1850

Both the inquisitor and the rune priest might swap for divination for prescience funzies with respectively 2 relentless psycannons and 5 missile launchers. The fourth wolf guard will probably go with the long fangs and sit in the front of the long fangs and take the front bullets until he dies. I could swap a vindi for another unit of long fangs, but the dreadnought should make up for the lack of multiple long fang squads. I originally also had Coteaz, but I ditched him in favor of a cheap inquisitor to get a decent lone wolf. The two razorbacks stay back, while the 3 rhinos plus terminators (potentially combat squadding) move midfield. I also opted for plasma on the grey hunters and wolf guard instead of melta because of the shift with hull points and the increased importance of volume of AP2 shots. If a landraider shows up I'll psycannon it to death or use the vindicators. Back-up plan is the lone wolf's chainfist.

What are your thoughts on the list? I'm also interested in the other readers, so let's hear it in the  comments guys!

Thanks Kirby.

Cheers, Kildash

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 Space Wolves with GK Allies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:54:40 AM »
I think the combi Plasmas would be better off as combi melta.

I agree with the great point of a high volume of ap 2 for, but you want a consistent high volume, besides shoring up a single turn of inadequacy those 3 to 6 extra plasma shots aren't likely to change the course of the game.

Although a smaller number of shots, and a smaller range of usefulness, the melta is honestly a one shot wonder. It gives you the option to use an assault weapon top destroy the transport and charge the guys inside, say demolition vets.

Essentially what I think i'm getting at us you already torrent a lot of moderately high str shots, the 3 combi weapons aren't going to meaningfully increase that number, instead you should use then to fill holes in your list that savvy opponents could exploit, namely the inability to penetrate 14 armor.

As a quick side note, no quad gun puts you in a spot where you will likely have trouble destroying even 1 jinking flyer. As a small thing you could do besides prescience fangs, you could turn the las/plas into a twin linked Las turret. It won't make our break the anti flyer game, but its a little tune up that could help in that dept.

Offline Wyrmnax

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »
If you are getting 6 man troops into rhinos, pay the extra 5 points and bring them in razorbacks.

Those heavy bolters are quite cheap for 5 points a piece since you are not using the extra transport capacity of rhinos. They will help your Grey Hunters estabilish a shooting presence in the midfield.

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
I imagine he's planning on shooting plasma guns out of them?

I agree that 5 points is a great deal, but when you need to move forward, that 5 point heavy Bolter has an opportunity cost of firing plasma guns.

If it were str 6 heavy bolters it might out weigh the cost of having to jump out to shoot, but not str 5 in my opinion.

Offline kildash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. As Majinmonkey correctly presumed, the plan is to shoot plasma out of the hatch after moving midfield. S6 heavy bolters would be nice, but I'm not fond of normal heavy bolterbacks. Plus, this way I have the option of smacking my rune priest with them if necessary. On the melta topic, if I understand you correctly what you're saying is stick with plasmaguns, but change only the combi-weapons to combi-melta just to have the option of killing AV14? Makes sense, I guess, plus I wouldn't have the risk of overheating killing my high-Ld character. I'll probably do that man, thanks.

What about the vindies and 1 unit of long fangs? Good call? 2x long fangs and 1 vindi better? All fangs? What about the powers on the rune priest if i don't switch to divination?