Author Topic: ETC  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Zero

• View Profile
ETC
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
I don't understand the hype behind the ETC, and honestly tournaments like this just make me angry. I don't even understand how you could butcher the game to such an extent and still call it "Warhammer".

Some of the rule changes are annoying, others just don't make sense and then there are some that are borderline moronic.

For example...
- Characters will get “look out sir” versus the following spells that automatically kill models or automatically remove an entire regiment: Dwellers Below, Final Transmutation, Dreaded 13th, Infernal Gateway 11-12 effect. Normal requirements for lookout sir apply.
What? Why? It doesn't even make sense. Who's going to jump in and push your character out of the way when every single guy is turning into a rat? There's no way to dodge a spell like that. If someone ran over and shoved the mage, he'd probably just fall over, and then continue to turn into a rat.

And Infernal Gateway. Really? Tell me who's going to dive in front of that one.

Anyway, I'll leave my rant there for now. For anyone who wanted to delve a little deeper into this idiocy, here you go.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

Mechanium

Re: ETC
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
In tournament Gamisim needs to overcome naritive writing. Dwellers specfically was a mistake, and turns at least lizards, high elves, and daemons into "why not just spam dwellers." Houserules need to happen, my main complaint is they usually focus on nerfing strong armies instead of throwing bones to weak one, which honestly would be a lot more fun for everyone involved.

I'm gonna read over their full houserule set, but the one you posted honestly isn't that bad (even if I also don't get how you're suposto los! Gateway).

Mechanium

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:01:09 AM »
Hahahaha oh my god. So I saw the ususal limits on gunlines and special dudes, standard fare for people who haven't adapted to the current design of GW games, blah blah

Then I got to Beastmen. Oh my god, an extra 200 points, and you score less vps on them. Not sure if you're awayre at how bad the old Beasts of Chaos army was, or how bad the current beastmen book was in 7th, but Beastmen are ace in 8th ed, between bestigor, how good bray shamans are, and the mother fucking doombull.

People who run these things really need to ltp.

Serious note, a lot of stuck in the mud comp systems remove both a problem and its counter, like the cap on unit sizes, and the nerfs to magic and artilery. They've been playing the game for so long they insit their style is the best, which is sad because it limits some of the fun parts of 8th ed.

I don't think Tomb Kings are playable under their system, and no bonus 200 points is going to help that, they have lots of wonderful uniquies that while not to impressive on their own work as force multiplers, and the caps on magic really hurt them.

I also don't think high elves need the extra points, they're kinda weak without awesome magic, or the ability to take large units of Swordmasters or White Lions, but hey if you wern't busy nerfing everything under the sun they would be just fine.

The system just looks so wonky because its trying to fix the problems that are caused by its own fixes to problems that are caused by their fixes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:23:27 AM by Mechanium »

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
Yeah that isn't Warhammer Fantasy Battles as created by games workshop, it isn't house rules, it's am entirely new game that is based off of  WHFB, and I think it's silly that they believe they know the game well enough to make those kind of changes.

I honestly don't mind a few house rules to make a really complicated game clearer or to make time constraints fall in line with game length but that is insane.

Offline Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »
I can handle some house rules, but the ETC is ridiculous. At Clash of the Titans, a tournament in Sydney, they deal with things like Dwellers by simply making them cause one wound on characters instead of insta-killing them, so they're still very powerful spells but you won't find your Level 4 getting nuked first turn. Irresistable Force also only occurs on a triple 3. They then left it at that, and I think that's much better than the spastic comp in ETC.

Personally I'd prefer no comp at all honestly, but at least CotT keeps it to a minimum.
What matters creative endless toil
When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?

Mechanium

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:07:30 PM »
To no suprsie to me, the winningest armoes were beastmen, and the winning team being beasts, brets, and chaos dwarves.

Funny they'd change so much, but then allow a forgeworld book, guess I can scratch "thinks all things fw are broken" off my preconcieve notions of warhammer grogornard at least.