Author Topic: Canis Wolfspam "Tiebreaker" list, 1749 points  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
Canis Wolfspam "Tiebreaker" list, 1749 points
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
This list is intended to force a tie, then win off the secondary win conditions. For this, high mobility and  fast squad killing is key.

Canis Wolfborn (2 Fenwolves)
Shieldfist WGBL (Thunderwolf, rune armor, SS, PF, WTT, 2 Fenwolves)

Sagalord WGBL (Warlord, Thunderwolf, rune armor, PF, WC, Belt of Russ, Saga of Warrior born, 2 Fenwolves)
Shieldclaw WGBL (Thunderwolf, rune armor, SS, WC, WTT, 2 Fenwolves)

Iron Priest (Thunderwolf, WTN, 4 Cyberwolves)

14 Fenwolves
14 Fenwolves

6 long fangs (5 missiles)
6 long fangs (5 missiles)
6 long fangs (5 Plasma Cannons)

The lord/guard pairs (I recently downgraded to WGBL from Wolf Lords to save points for potential air defence- 2 squads of plasma cannons work wonders on the ground, but I had NOTHING that could handle AV12 in the air.) are notable for being usable, independent formations that can "hide in" Fenwolf squads or with the Iron Priest. When in combat, the shield guard accepts any challanges, while letting Canis/Sagalord tear into the rest of the formation.

Also note that when "deathstar'd" with the iron priest, the entire squad counts as T5, which might be good when dealing with bolter spam, and to a lesser extent power weapons.

The plasma squad picks an enemy unit, and cripples them, each round. if they can get at least 2 models under the template, the direct hits from BS4 should be enough to take out at least 6 MEQ, or 4 terminators- the rest of the squad should be easy pickings for missile spam and Fenwolf squads. Each troop eliminated this way is one less squad you need to deny objectives from at the end of the game, saving you a squad to try for Linebreaker. Get first blood, kill all the enemy troops, and have a squad sitting in the enemy deployment zone, and victory is yours.

Thoughts?

Offline Majinmonkey

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Canis Wolfspam "Tiebreaker" list, 1749 points
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
I disagree with the premise of trying to just go for tie breakers but I would love to see this on the field murdering everything.

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
*shrugs* I suppose in "Big guns never tire" you could win by  putting the Long Fangs on an objective, but the drawback to using Fenwolves at troops is they cant score, ever. Still, it's a weakness I may as well embrace, since deathstars (which there are, like, 4 in this list, counting the plasma long fangs and the Iron Priest) tend to have the same weakness once a smart enemy kills your troops.

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »
I'm switching the missile long fangs to multimeltas, same price. This list is  aggressive enough that I think I van afford to keep them near the center of the map- and within their range, they're strictly better than a Krak missile (AP1 vs AP3) even without being in Melta range.

1850 point version would trade one multimelta fang squad for a PC squad and an Aegis defence line- something to keep people safe on the first turn, and protect my ranged models, which feel like the most vulnerable models in the list.