Author Topic: Challanges and characters  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
Challanges and characters
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
So, has anyone else noticed this?

Characers tend to come in 3 general types- Combat lords, challange lords, and redshirts.

Combat lords are what I'm calling the characters with truely remarkable close combat skills. High WS, high attacks, power weapon or fist.

Challange lords are what I'm calling the characters built to beat the combat lords at their own game. You dont need a particularly high number of attacks if you have a PF or weapon that can instadeath. All you need to do is be able to survive the full force of a Combat Lord's fury long enough to use it. Terminator/artificer armor is usually enough to stop you from being killed before init 1, but you need a stormshield or another invuln to stand a chance against other fists.

And Redshirts are what I'm calling the characters who you get automatically, or who are so dirt cheap you dont actually mind losing them too much. You have a combat lord bearing down on your formation? Challange him so he cant mess up your squad this turn! The Combat lord is being called out by a challange lord? Redshirt dies in his place, so the combat lord can continue ripping through the enemy for a turn.

Which leads me to this- it's best to run close combat characters in groups. A Combat lord and a bodyguard of either a single challange lord, or a couple redshirts.

Thoughts?

Offline WestRider

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Challanges and characters
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:07:13 AM »
I would add a fourth category: Support Characters like Rune Priests or Masters of the Forge, who's job is to stay the hell away from combat and do their thing at range.

But as far as Characters who are going to be getting up close and personal, this fits with a lot of my thinking as I've been looking through the Chaos Marine Dex. Since you're always going to have to Challenge, or Accept if Challenged, it's important to be able to take on a variety of Challengers. I've been thinking about combos with things like a Terminator Lord with ChainFist and an Aspiring Champion in the same Squad with a Power Sword.

Another thing I see in Chaos is that many of their Combat Characters can actually take on most of the Challenge Characters pretty well, since Eternal Warrior (or at least T5, which blocks ID from the Fists) is pretty common among the good builds. Not sure yet exactly how that's going to change the calculation, especially because there are things (notably from the Grey Knights) that can get around that.
Anything taken to its logical extreme is depressing, if not carcinogenic.
- Ursula K. LeGuin