Author Topic: Multimeltas as anti-air?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
Multimeltas as anti-air?
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »
Something that just recently occured to me, is that people are using TL autocannons as the pinnacle of improvised-anti-air. But I think Multimeltas deserve another look.

They have half the number of shots as autocannons, but  have the same chance to penetrate as the autocannon has to glance, even at extended range, and every penetrating hit has a 50% chance to kill the flier entirely. (even the ones that dont kill, will inflict some kind of permanant damage) And since they are having to snap shot against fliers anyway, you can effectively add an extra 6" to both extended and short ranges, giving it a 30"/18" range against fliers.

They're one of the cheapest weapon options for Devastator squads, and are useful against MC, Terminator armor, MEQ span, and even normal walkers and tanks, should anyone actually use them anymore.

Until we actually get Flakk missiles, I think Multimeltas are one of the better options to deal with the flier threat.

Offline Wyrmnax

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Multimeltas as anti-air?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »
They can work. The problem is range.

Autocannons can shoot down flyers pretty much anywhere on the board. Multimeltas 24" is more limited.

So, can it work? well, yes. Anything that can glance or pen said plane can work. The problem with aircraft is that 6+ to hit. You usually alleviate that by having more shots or twin linked.

You will get more pens, pens will be more dangerous, but you will have much less hits overall. Have to calculate if it will be worth it.

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:50:23 AM »
Just remember it's a 30/18" range, once you figure in the unit moving. After all, against fliers, your snapshotting anyway- no reason NOT to fire from the hip on the move.

Offline Wyrmnax

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
Thats true.

I think it mostly depends on how much multi melta you can bring in to the table. You will need around 6 to score a hit on a flyer, remember that.

Vanilla marines might be able to bring enough MMs to use them effectively. Chaos Marines won't. In a pinch, it is one other weapon that can be pointed up and hope for a 6. But to really be able to use them as your only anti-air, you are going to need to bring a lot.

That 30" is really good. 18", not so much. At 18 is where MMs are really deadly against vehicles. At 30, they have a serious risk of not penning AV 12/13.

Offline Rakaydos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »
I figure a Vanilla list with a MM Devastator squad or two to supplement SGT Telion on an Icarus Lascannon- it's hard to beat someone who writes your name on a S9 AP2 weapon- special weapons dont get LoS, and PF Sergents only get a 4+

Or the SW list I have posted, that  puts a pair of Long fang squads where they can kill people who try for objectives. In each of these, the multimentas are being taken for their ability to deal with MEQ and TEQ, in addition to fliers.