Author Topic: Warmahordes - What could we potentially take out of it?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Sethis

• Regular
  • Breathing Fire
    • View Profile
Warmahordes - What could we potentially take out of it?
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
One of the main attractions of Warmahordes over 40k is the tight ruleset. Since SirBiscuit is attempting to write a better ruleset, this seems like a good place to start. What could we potentially take from Warmachine/Hordes and what would be best left out?

- Keywords. Every special ability is keyworded, such as Buffs/Debuffs, Upkeeps, Offensive/Non-offensive. This makes it easy to understand what rules to follow.
- USRs. Organised well and spread widely around so every army has access to them.
- Line of Sight. (Wow, I went there...) Forget TLoS, just check what size base you're using and what size base you're trying to hide behind. Simple.
- Clear timing. Easy to decide what happens when.

What else have I missed that people think could be useful additions? Not specific rules, but rather design philosophy/formatting/rules integration.
Space Marine Codex, by Matt Ward:

"... Imperial Fists, White Scars and Raven Guard. These chapters can never be Ultramarines for their geneseed is not that of Roboute Guilliman. Nevertheless, they will ever aspire to the teachings of the great primarch."

And you wonder why we hold you in contempt?

Offline Scuzgob

• Regular
  • You require additional dakka
    • View Profile
Re: Warmahordes - What could we potentially take out of it?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »
i really, really, really want the attack type keywords (fire, ice, etc) from Warmahordes to make it into Warhams. It would be great for avoiding rules nonsense with things like the GK Plasma Syphon upgrade and suchlike

Offline Scion_of_Terra

• Regular
  • On the bounce, trooper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:48:28 PM »
i really, really, really want the attack type keywords (fire, ice, etc) from Warmahordes to make it into Warhams. It would be great for avoiding rules nonsense with things like the GK Plasma Syphon upgrade and suchlike

This seems like a good idea.  Here's what I've come up with so far:

Bio (Tyrand weapons)
Bolt (Boltguns, bolt pistols, heavy bolters, psycannons)
Electric (Tesla, Haywire, etc.)
Explosive (Battle cannons, mortars, krak/frag missiles, missile pods, etc.)
Gauss
Heat (melta, flamers, Heat Lances, etc.)
Laser (lasguns, lascannons, scatter lasers, multilasers, Prism cannons, Bright Lances, Blasters, etc.)
Plasma (Plasma pistols/guns/rifles/cannons/missiles, pulse rifles/carbines/pistols [subject for review], bioplasma, etc.)
Poison (Splinter weapons especially)
Psychic (An upgrade category, perhaps, for blessed/Daemonic weaponry)
Solid (Autocannons, autoguns, heavy stubbers, Railguns, Kroot rifles, burst cannons, etc.)
Unique (weird weapons that defy categorization)

It seems a little complicated, though it's probably necessary for some items of wargear.
Out ride the sons of Terra
Far drives the thundering jet
Up leaps a race of Earthmen
Out, far, and onwards yet
-RAH

Offline WestRider

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »
Plasma, Poison, Psychic, Bolter, and "heat-based" are the ones that would currently have an effect in 40K. More definitions are welcome, and may well come in useful for further revisions.

Something based around clarifying Base Size would go a huge way toward clearing up a number of problems as well.
Anything taken to its logical extreme is depressing, if not carcinogenic.
- Ursula K. LeGuin

Offline Raggbur

• I promoted myself to 'Nerd', how does that sound?
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:50:26 AM »
I'm not sure about this because it kinda goes toward MtG, doesn't it.

But anyway, if we do something like this I'd use the different weapon types used in Dark Heresy & alike...

Though I'd divide them by weapon special rule first meaning: flamer & melta's in different categories, even though they're both a heat weapon.
I'd also divide imperial & eldar las. But at least make a difference between a Battle cannon shell & HK Missile.

About the base sizes, that's not gonna work... But there's  a different thread for that already now.
We must forgive our enemies,
but not before they are hanged

Yes, a starting blog as well: raggburscodex.blogspot.com